Monday 20 August 2007

Toasting Fork


Toasting crumpets or bread on an open fire is probably something that many of today's children would just laugh at. However when I was a child we loved this treat on a dark winter evening. It was bliss to be inside and cosy by the fire making toast and spreading it with butter that melted into the hot toast or crumpets (the rest of the house was like a fridge no central heating back then). This toasting fork has been used by three generations of our family.

6 comments:

Beccy said...

I would love to toast crumpets on an open fire but my mother never let me!

ChrisB said...

I was so cruel to deprive of crumpet toasting-but I do seem to remember we did it here!

Anonymous said...

Oh such memories you bring back for me! Our house was always freezing too, but in the summer when it was hot we still had to have a fire to heat the water tank...
Our toasting fork was hand made - just thick wire strands twisted toether; nothing posh in our house.

ChrisB said...

The toasting fork you describe was just like the one we had as children. This one I am showing was in my gran's house at that time only came to my mum and then me after she died.

DV survivor and advocate said...

how do you toast bread? seems like something my kids would enjoy. during the winter we have fires several times a week and marshmellows are too messy

ChrisB said...

Hi Juicer I think you could use a BBQ fork, it only needs a long handle to protect hands from heat. Holding the bread just close enough to the fire without burning will toast it. Once you have a fire give it a go and let me know if it works. We always felt it tasted different. Probably because it was buttered and eaten straight away.