Thursday 19 July 2007

Blooming

I have no idea what this plant is called but to make it flower you fill the leaves with water and with the right amount of warmth it blooms and is very pretty. I have managed to get three blooms on one plant at the same time. However this year that hasn't happened. The flower on my second plant is just beginning to emerge.


I have had the plant years and can't even remember how I aquired it. It got so big and pot bound I replanted a couple last year and did a couple for my SIL and what you see is from the new repots.

POSTSCRIPT:

Thanks to Steffi I now know that this plant is from the Bromelia (Vriesea) Family haven't yet managed to track down the exact name of this particular variety.

7 comments:

Beccy said...

It's really come on since I was there.

Anonymous said...

I know how "I" acquired it. I bought it at one of the Christmas Fayre type sales we used to have at Westbury Park Tennis Club. One of our favourite chaps George persuaded me to buy it as it had not gone and we all were! Love

Steffi said...

I´m not sure with the name...but I think I have the same at my work (department of garden)...I think it is a plant of the family Bromelia (vriesea)but I´m not sure.Your plant is really nice!

ChrisB said...

steffi thank you for giving me a name I will do some research :)

ChrisB said...

Steffi you are right. I have found pictures of a lot of similar plants but not one exactly the same colour as mine. So thank you for the information:)

Thesaurus Rex said...

I used to have one of these. It was in my care for quite a while before it flowered. Weirded me out quite a bit when it did I can tell you.

ChrisB said...

Hi thesaurus rex, mine do not always flower every year but I had a couple of blooms this year (I have 2 plants).